Consider this group of spots the shorter, less-loved siblings of 'Schoolhouse Rock.' They're obviously created by some of the same geniuses, with a lot of the same voice actors--as you'll immediately notice in the first clip--but did they get the DVD treatment from Disney? Heck no. Even Scooter Computer and Mister Chips were immortalized on DVD, but not these guys?! I guarantee if they were all in a burning building and you only had time to save one duo, 99 out of 100 of you would take Beans and Rice over Scooter and Mr. Chips, right? Of course, you might eat them later, but you get my point. Wait, I don't think I have a point. Anyway, each clip without fail ends with 'An ABC presentation' on the screen, thus I cleverly dubbed this series 'An ABC Presentation.'
1. 'Beans and Rice' - One of the most popular of all the clips, based on responses I've gotten. Voiced by the unmistakable Jack Sheldon, Bean teams up with his good buddy Rice to bring us a flavor and a song that's supreme. Watch it once, twice, or heck, even thrice.
2. 'Potatoes' - You've gotta dig potatoes. Get it? This clip encourages us to eat the skin but i've never really been down with that. I just mention it because it reminds me of those 'Tato Skins' potato chips from the 80s -- a rare departure from the cookie market by the Keebler Elves. Now there's another jingle i'll never forget: 'Tato Skins got baked potato appeal, 'cause they're made with potatoes and skins that are real.'
3. 'Chew, Chew, Chew' - Simple message here: Take time to savor your food, no need to devour it down like some kind of crazed animal.
4. 'Love Won't Add Weight'- This message should be aimed more at the parents than the kids. What normal child is going to reject a big slab of cake in favor of a hug?
5. 'Popcorn'- The movie theater standard gets the red-carpet treatment in this clip.
6. 'Nature's Wrappers' - The best snacks come in their own natural wrappers according to this PSA. At least this one doesn't encourage you to eat the wrappers. I mean, even apes peel bananas before eating them, don't they?
7. 'Water' - The best no-calorie drink. And also the most boring. But they try to make it appealing.